There are many people with Dental Fillings in place for many years and the only questions that arises is that when should they be replaced. Dental fillings are handmade dental materials that are used to replace tooth structure that has been damaged due to tooth decay. The dental filling will allow the dentist to restore both function and shape of the tooth and give it back its natural form.
Types of dental fillings available in Dubai.
Silver fillings – The use of amalgam for dental fillings has raised some controversy over the years due to its mercury content. Amalgam is made up of a mixture of various types of metals and has certain disadvantages such as.
- Silver fillings cannot be bonded to existing tooth structure. This means that the natural tooth structure must be removed more than necessary to ensure the amalgam filling will hold and stay in place.
- Silver fillings or Amalgam is a darker color and cannot be matched to your existing teeth. Therefore, it can cause embarrassment and really cause problems to a person’s natural smile.
- Risk of the tooth breaking. Metal can expand and contract over time based on a person’s oral environment. If the metal expands too much it can make the tooth weak and susceptible to breaking, over time.
- Cosmetic Restoration. Dental composite is a tooth colored dental material that can be matched to a patient’s existing teeth. These types of fillings will match perfectly with your natural teeth.
- Features great bonding ingredients. Unlike silver fillings, these fillings will directly bonded to a patient’s natural tooth structure. This creates a stronger attachment to the teeth.
- The less tooth structure is compromised. As the composite resin can be bonded directly to the tooth, there is less tooth structure removed. The dentist will not remove more tooth structure than is absolutely necessary to restore the tooth back to its natural form and function.
Some of the notable signs that a dental filling needs to be replaced are as follows,
- Sensitive to temperature. People who are sensitive to temperature changes in their mouth can feel very uncomfortable, and therefore it’s important to see the dentists. If the pain subsides after exposure to hot or cold after a few seconds, it is usually repairable, but if the pain stays for much longer, it may indicate damage to the nerve that cannot be repaired with a simple dental filling.
- Pain when biting. This can indicate that there is a fracture in the tooth, from an existing dental restoration.
- Constant, throbbing pain. If the tooth decay reaches the nerve of the tooth it will cause discomfort and a toothache. Patient’s may need a root canal therapy.
- Brocken dental Filling. Patient’s who notice broken dental filling should visit the Dental Clinic in Dubai so that it can be repaired or replaced immediately.