Unlike other types of cancers, oral cancer can easily go undetected if you don’t visit the Dental Clinic in Dubai for a regular check-up. An early oral cancer diagnosis and treatment can save your life. Therefore, make an appointment today with your Dentist in Dubai for your oral cancer screening.
Some of the symptoms of Oral cancer include,
- Mouth sores that lasts longer than two weeks , is the most common symptoms
- Persistent mouth pain
- Lump in the cheek
- White or red patch on the gums, tongue, tonsil, or lining of the mouth
- Sore throat or a constant feeling that something is caught in the throat
- Difficulty swallowing or chewing
- Difficulty moving the jaw or tongue
- Numbness when swallowing, this can be anywhere in the mouth
- Jaw swelling
- Loose teeth
- Severe toothaches
- Voice change
- Lump in the neck
- Rapid and unexplained weight loss
Some of the Oral Cancer risk factors include,
- Tobacco and Alcohol – Heavy alcohol use, tobacco smoking and the use of both tobacco and alcohol together is the main risk factors. Using tobacco plus alcohol poses a much greater risk than using either substance alone.
- HPV Infection – The sexually transmitted human papillomavirus has been linked to oral cancers.
- Age- The risk of Oral cancer increases with age, especially people over 40 years of age.
- Prolonged Sun Exposure – Cancer of the lip can be caused by long term exposure to the sun.
- Diet– A diet low in fruits and vegetables may also play a role in oral cancer development.
- Chewing betel – In Southeast Asia, South Asia, and certain other countries, people chew betel quid, which is made up of Areca nut and lime wrapped in a betel leaf or a mixture of betel quid and tobacco. People who chew betel quid have an increased risk of cancer of the mouth.
- Genetic symptoms – People with certain syndromes caused by inherited defects or mutations in certain genes have a very high risk of mouth and throat cancer.
- Weak immune system – Oral cavity and oropharyngeal cancers are more common in people who have a weak immune system. A weak immune system can be caused by certain diseases present at birth, the acquired immunodeficiency syndrome (AIDS), and certain medication.
- Mouthwash – Researchers explain that mouthwash with a high alcohol content might be linked to a higher risk of oral and oropharyngeal cancers.
- Irritation from dentures – Long-term irritation of the lining of the mouth caused by poorly fitting dentures is a risk factor for oral cancer. Poorly fitting dentures can trap agents that have been proven to cause oral cancer, such as alcohol and tobacco, therefore, those who wear dentures should have them checked by a dentist regularly to ensure that it has a good fit.
Regular dental visits are not only important to maintaining good oral health, a healthy and dazzling Hollywood Smile in Dubai but it can also save your life. Therefore, don’t take any chances with your oral health.